Whether you are just starting on the homeschooling journey or you need that one refresher book every year to help sustain you on the path, here’s a list of books I’d recommend. Most I have read, others I haven’t yet but know they’re good ones from other mamas I trust and respect.
Mother Culture/Homeschooling Booklist:
• Hold on to Your Kids – Neufeld
• For the Children’s Sake – Macaulay
• The Hidden Art of Homemaking – Schaeffer
• Teaching from Rest – Mackenzie
• Mere Motherhood – Rollins
• Last Child in the Woods – Louv
• Simplicity Parenting – Payne
• The Charlotte Mason Companion – Andreola
• Educating the Whole-hearted Child – Clarkson
• The Read Aloud Family – Mackenzie
• The Life-giving Home/Table/Parent – Clarkson
If you are looking to implement Charlotte Mason methods into your homeschool, I’d recommend slowly working through her very own words/volumes. They are … not the easiest reads but what better way to understand her philosophies than to read them ourselves. If you’re children are small and you’re wondering where to start at all, start with habit training and PLENTY of time outdoors.
Laying Down the Rails by Sonya Shafer is an excellent guide for habit training as well.
I know navigating the homeschooling journey can be overwhelming at first and you just don’t know where to start. I’d encourage you in that you are capable and equipped to give your children exactly what they need because you know them best. Don’t underestimate your motherly instincts and the fact that you are a thinking woman! And never underestimate the power of prayer. You’ve got this, mama.